As we welcome in the new year we all make certain promises to ourselves, whether that is to lose weight, to get fitter or to do something that you have never done before.
Dr Amen's Change Your Brain, Change Your Body explains that the key to a better body is a healthy brain.
In this extract from his book , Dr Amen shows you how to get, and keep, the body that you have always wanted…
ELEVEN RULES FOR BRAIN-BODY-HEALTHY NUTRITION
1. Drink plenty of water, some green tea, and not too many calories.
2. Watch your calories.
3. Increase good fats and decrease bad fats.
4. Increase good carbs and decrease bad carbs.
5. Dump artifical sweeteners and replace them with small amounts of natural sweeteners.
6. Limit caffeine intake.
7. Eat great brain foods (almonds, apples, broccoli, blueberries, raspberries, spinach, tofu, tuna, yoghurt to name a few).
8. Reduce salt intake and increase potassium intake (foods high in potassium include bananas, spinach, honeydew, melon, tomatoes, and all meats).
9. Plan snacks.
10. Take a daily multivitamin/mineral suppplement and fish oil.
11. Recognize when you or someone you care about has hidden food allergies.
Here's a selection of keyword-matched articles that you might also find interesting: