After years of analysing brain scans and treating patients, Dr Daniel Amen has discovered that there are many simple things you can do on a daily basis to boost your brain function. These daily prescriptions can also be the key to a better body. Here are just a few things you can do to get started:
1. Eat a good diet. Getting good nutrition is essential to good brain function and to a better body. A healthy diet includes lean protein, fruits, vegetables, nuts and healthy fats like olive oil. Studies show that your brain works better if you eat nine servings of fruits and vegetables a day.
2. Take daily vitamins, minerals and fish oil. Because most of us do not get all the nutrients we need from the foods we eat, Dr Amen recommends that everybody takes a daily multivitamin and mineral supplement. A daily fish oil supplement can decrease inflammation and boost blood flow to the brain and can help combat depression, which has been associated with being obese as well as many other health conditions.
3. Exercise. When it comes to the brain, exercise acts like the fountain of youth. It boosts blood flow, increases the brain's use of oxygen, and improves your brain's response to stress. It is the single most important thing you can do to keep your brain healthy and is one of the best ways to change your shape and improve your mood, energy level, sexual performance and overall health.
4. Get enough sleep. Getting at least seven hours of sleep at night has been shown to help keep your brain functioning at optimal levels, keeps your appetite in check, and helps your skin look younger.
5. Meditate. Meditation activates the most thoughtful part of the brain, so you can make better and more intelligent decisions.
6. Relax. Learning how to counteract stress and calm your body helps your brain work better, puts you in a better mood, reduces high blood pressure and protects you from disease.
7. Practice gratitude. When you focus on what your love, your brain works better, you are more coordinated, and you feel better. write down five things you are grateful for every day. In just three weeks you will notice a significant positive difference in your level of happiness.
8. Have more sex. Safe sex, and especially sex in a loving committed relationship, is good medicine for your brain and your body, helping you reduce stress, boost immunity, live longer, and more.
9. Balance your hormones. Hormones, such as oestrogen and testosterone, play a key role in maintaining the health and vitality of your brain and body.
10. Treat mental disorders. a strong link between mental disorders and physical illnesses and conditions has been well established. Treating mental conditions improves brain function and general health and well-being.
The New York Times bestseller Change Your Brain, Change Your Body by Dr Daniel G. Amen is available to buy now from all good bookshops. It is also available to download as an e-book from all the major e-book retailers, so you can read it on your Kindle, iPad, Kobo or Sony Reader.
Here's a selection of keyword-matched articles that you might also find interesting: